THAI GREEN CURRY PASTE
1 Tbsp coriander seeds whole- roasted ground
1 Tbsp cumin seeds whole- roasted ground
1 tsp black peppercorn whole
1 tsp salt
8 each garlic cloves
4 Tbsp shallots, chopped
4 Tbsp lemongrass, thinly sliced then minced
Note: peel couple layers until you smell lemony. Snap it just like asparagus. Only use the bottom half. Remove wood core on the bottom)
1 Tbsp galangal, fresh, peeled thin slices
5 each Thai chilies, sliced
4 each kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
12 each basil leaves
½ cup cilantro stems only, minced (don’t use the leaves.)
8-ounce jalapeno peppers, thin slice with or with or without seeds
1 Tbsp shrimp paste (optional, don’t use if anyone is allergic to seafood)
½ cup water
1 fl oz canola or vegetable oil
1) Add coriander in the mortar and pestle then pound and grind it until finely ground. Then add cumin, peppercorn, and salt; grind it all together until finely ground. 2) Add garlic and shallots; pound it until it roughly mixes with spice powder, then add minced lemongrass and sliced galangal and continue to pound until it becomes a paste. Add a tablespoon of water if needed. 3) Add Thai chilies, kaffir leaves and cilantro stems, then pound until it is mixed well with the rest of the paste. 4) Add jalapeno and pound it roughly with the rest of the paste then transfer into a blender and add water and oil.5) Process until it becomes smooth
Red curry paste: same as above additional below. Need to substitute Red jalapeno Or 1⁄2 ounce of red arboreal chili (soaked in hot water for 15 min then chopped)Add 1 stick of Cinnamon, 1 Tsp. Turmeric, 1 Tbsp. Coriander (Don’t use cilantro stems.)
Yellow curry paste: same as above additional below, Add 1/4 tsp mace, 8 each Green cardamom pod, 1 stick of Cinnamon, 1 Tsp. Turmeric.
THAI PORK CURRY WITH EGGPLANT
Serve 6 people
1 can canned coconut milk (don’t shake it, keep it in the refrigerator for 10 mins, then open the can, remove 2-3 fluid ounces coconut fat from the top, keep it on the side)
2 lb pork loin or chicken brest, cut in thin slices.
4-6 Thai eggplant, quarter wedges
20 fl oz curry paste freshly made (see recipe next page)
4 Tbsp fish sauce (use as needed)
3 Tbsp Palm sugar grate
3 each kaffir lime leaves, fresh
10 each Thai basil leaves, fresh
½ water (use as needed)
1) Heat the wok on high heat. Add two ounces coconut fat and turn down the heat to a moderate level. Stir constantly. Cook until water evaporates from the fat about 1 -2 min. Don’t let it burn.
2) Add meat in a wok and stir fry it until turn white color: then Add all of the Curry paste and cook for approx. 2-3 minutes. Stirring constantly. Do not burn.
3) Add leftover coconut milk, stir it and add palm sugar and let dissolve while stirring. Add lime leaf. Taste and season as desired.
4) Add eggplant and simmer for a 10 - 15 mins. Add 1/2 cup water if needed.
5) Add basil leaves. Mix well. Plated with rice and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
6) If you wish you can add a variety of stir-fry vegetables to compliment the dish. (Optional)